Who wants to comment on Daisy's statement about her baby daughter:"She told me it was a girl, and so I turned my head away and wept. 'All right,' I said, 'I'm glad it's a girl. And I hope she'll be a fool - that's the best thing a girl can be in this world, a beautiful little fool." (21)
5 comments:
I believe that Daisy says these things because of the times. In the this era she saw that women wouldn't have an equal oppourtunity to succeed. She was weaping because she felt sorry for the future her daughter will have. If she had a son he could have been a prominent member of society. He could have been a success carrying on the family name and business. Daisy believes all women can do at this point is look good.
Daisy thought this because girls at that are more vulnerable to be mistreated by men. Women where not seen as eauals and she probably new that that was true. She, like any mother, wanted her child to be happy i she knew that her being like that is maybe the only oppourtunity that she has.
I think this is quite interesting. Daisy believes, or says she believes, that being a fool, that is, not caring about surroundings or just living for the moment, is better than being a concious, intelligent person. The daughter would get farther doing nothing than she would if she tried to accomplish something. This is a sad reflection. As mark said,if the daughter had been a son, she would have great advantage and be able to advance further using that advantage. But in her position, she can do nothing. A girl can just float along and will receive more than if she tried to advance.
Post a Comment